Friday, January 16, 2009

Pictures of Rome

Debbie wanted pictures - who am I to deny such a request?

I don't have a lot cause the camera died after the first day, after which I bought post cards, but here are a few interesting ones...

Below, our first picture of Rome, of a strange, triangular shaped building.


Here, on our way to the Colosseum, through this tunnel. I snapped a quick picture of Mom in the entrance. Behind her is someone sleeping on a mattress.



Our first glimpse of the Colosseum.


And our Gladiator friends. The ringleader - the one who followed us - is the one on the left that I'm holding at swordpoint. Note the modern beanie.


A startlingly pretty picture of the sky over the rim of the Colosseum. The weather was beautiful while we were there.

An old temple cracked in half during World War I (according to David). I just thought it was neat looking.

The old aquaducts beneath the House of Augustus. These ones are no longer functioning, but the city is still supplied by the same network that these ones belong to, and the water is still pure and drinkable.


This is a picture I took because I love this style, with the sun behind the tree. I took it standing in the ruins of the Palatines, (The House of Augustus standing on the ruins of the House of Nero), and you can see the ruins behind the tree.



Standing on the Palatines, two twin columns stretch into the sky, a view of Rome behind them. The two basilicas in the lower right hand corner are St. Peter's in the Vatican (the leftmost one), and I think the Piazza del Popolo.



One of my favorite pictures. Sometimes I surprise myself, truly. The remainder of the Temple of Saturn.




This one has a story behind it - Mom and I wondered about the Egyptian statue in front of the Obelisk but didn't expect it to be a living person. Mom offered to go hug it for a picture, which I didn't get because I was laughing too hard. This was taken before that, from far away and zoomed as close as the camera would go. At the time, I thought it was a neat statue.

View of Rome from the Palatines. Another of my favorite pictures, because when scaled to full size it's beautifully sharp and clear, with the Colosseum presiding. I'll get this one framed when I get the chance.

1 comment:

Deborah W said...

That's right; who ARE you to deny my request?? You did the right thing in obeying, eh? He he! Great photos. Yeah, I really love the last one, too. They are all really good. Send me your fave 6 or 7 and I'll make you a framed collage. (I'll need the high-res photos; if your email program can't handle that you can use the photo dropbox on my website's homepage.) Love ya! Deb